Skip to main content

London Marathon Training: Week 5

I started this week a bit slow and easy to recover from last Sunday's 24-mile solid long run. I had a huge knot in my my right calf. I received dry needle therapy on Tuesday and again on Friday to help it heal. When dry needle is done on the calf, it can be really painful for the next 1-2 days, but on the 3rd day things start to loosen up and you can feel some relief. A huge thank you to Pinnacle PT staff, especially Barbara for staying an extra half hour past her shift to work on my leg. It made a big difference as my calf now feels back to normal. It really takes a village sometimes. As this point, I'm not risking anything, if anything hurts, I will take the time to fix it, have a day off or do some cross training. I have to continue to be mentally tough as there are always obstacles down the road. Thankfully, an excellent group of sports medical experts who have been helping me.


Week 5
Mar 7  Mon AM 3-0-min Stationary bike PM 35-min Stationary bike(again), 5-mile run + hurdle drills + chiro
Mar 8  Tue AM 5 miles + weights PM Physical Therapy  w/ dry needle (I was asked by PT staff to skip PM run)
Mar 9  Wed AM 5 miles + hurdle drills  PM 6 miles (very easy, HR = 126, 7:11 pace) + Normatec recovery [Sleep RHR = 33]
Mar 10 Thu AM 10 miles   PM 5 miles
Mar 11 Fri AM 5 miles + Physical Therapy PM 13 miles + hurdle drills
Mar 12 Sat  AM 13 miles w/ 10 mile tempo (51:57 - 5:18, 5:18, 5:16, 5:16, 5:13, 5:12, 5:11, 5:08, 5:04, 5:00, AHR = 161, Max HR 166)  PM 5 miles + Normatec recovery
Mar 13 Sun  24 miles (2:42:30) very easy, AHR = 141

TOTAL 96 miles, 65-min stationary bike. Notes: Happy with the 10-mile tempo, especially considering how the HR was and how I felt. I think I could've extended the tempo distance if I wanted to. I will be racing the New Bedford Half Marathon a week from today, which should give me a good indication of my overall fitness. In 2014 when I won there in 65:52, I had done a similar 10-mile tempo a week before the race in the 52:20's. I would be happy to run anywhere in the 65-66 range, which would put me in a good position going into the last 4 weeks of workouts before London. Thanks for reading and for your continued support.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures from training this week:

Doing hurdle drills in my basement

Leg press at Pinnacle PT

Post 10-mile tempo

Recovering with Normatec while watching March Madness






Comments

  1. Ruben. You are getting very impatient. Now is the time for you to find something that you enjoy to get your mind off things. Find something that brings you peace such as an old hobby or something that you enjoy. But, whatever you do, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT RUNNING A HALF MARATHON 4 WEEKS OUT FROM LONDON. Things are going very, very good right now. I am wondering if you actually like hurting yourself. After all you ran that Florida half INJURED and for some crazy reason that I don't really understand you finished it. How could you? Don't you respect your body. Serious and experienced runners don't run half marathons 4 weeks out. Nice try. You have to be patient and do quality workouts. We don't need another classic "Ruben Old Fashioned 10 Miler Mistake before Boston. Yup, you would have run Boston even faster. Ruben, if you run this half were gonna have to order you up some New Hampshire Leslie O'Dell Girl Scout Cookies. Not cool at all Ruben.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you get all pissed off at me Ruben please remember, I AM NOT VOTING FOR TRUMP. NO WAY IN HELL! So just relax and do your workouts and don't get injured and of course please don't get too pissed off at me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ruben, I am sorry I am a jerk about things. Though, let me tell you one thing for sure, if Salazar was your coach you would not be doing this half marathon. Believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruben. If your going to continue this trend then. #1. Make sure Larry The Butcher is on speed dial. #2. Schedule 50 appointments with Larry and make sure you get a damn good discount because your buying wholesale. #3. If for some strange reason you run a 1 hour and 7 minutes because let's face it anyone can have a bad race at any time you may totally Flip Out and Freak and in post half workouts try making up for lost time. If this happens, I would like you to sell your house and buy one as close to Larry as possible.
    And if for some reason you get really lucky and get a fast time and show up at London uninjured then I would like to verify one more thing. Yes, Lion, Tiger, Bear. Well the bear who is going to be meeting you at mile 26 is not one of the black bear's we see around here. Way north, think snow. By you running this half marathon, that bear is going to be a little extra hungry, because dinner is going to be at least 30 seconds late because of you running this half.
    I am not saying that you won't qualify, all I am saying is that this half marathon will cost you at least 30 seconds come London.
    On half marathon race day do realize how much you could benefit from a super workout vs. a half marathon in which you will GIVE MUCH of yourself?
    Like I say if you run a hour and seven for some strange reason because of an off day and it happens you will be talking to yourself.
    At that point no one will be able to help Ruben except Ruben because now he knows what he is getting himself into.
    Pandora's box for no reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thing Ruben, if you run that half and get injured you are going to really set yourself back. Guess what? Back in time baby. Not a good place to be in. That's when Mr. Lion, Mr. Tiger, and Mr. Bear join in the party and go Retro-Prehistoric. Old school Ruben, except much, much bigger and much faster. Don't set yourself back. Don't do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ruben. Well because your doing this half marathon which is going to set you back in time there has been a change in the starting lineup at London. Mile 22 American Lion, Mile 24 Smilodon, Mile 26 Arctotherium Angustidens. Yup. THE BIG 3. Stop, I know what your thinking, Magic, Worthy,and Cap or Bird, McHale, Chief. Nope. And by the way, playing dead and making loud noises with these guys is useless and stupid. These guys are big, strong, fast. The real question is what these guys can't do? I really can't say enough about what they bring to the table. If you want the raw numbers talk to Drew Best. I don't have time for this, places to go, people to see. I did my best and tried to help but what more can I do. In my heart, I believe if you took to the plan by becoming a little more conservative in your training that we were not going to be talking about just going to "one more" Olympic games. I wouldn't be happy with that. And one more thing, I am not saying these guys are unbeatable. Their not much different from you or I. Just 3 ordinary guys who show up to work on time hustling to put food on the table. Please don't do this half Ruben. Only the Best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews