Sunday, March 13, 2016

London Marathon Training: Week 5

I started this week a bit slow and easy to recover from last Sunday's 24-mile solid long run. I had a huge knot in my my right calf. I received dry needle therapy on Tuesday and again on Friday to help it heal. When dry needle is done on the calf, it can be really painful for the next 1-2 days, but on the 3rd day things start to loosen up and you can feel some relief. A huge thank you to Pinnacle PT staff, especially Barbara for staying an extra half hour past her shift to work on my leg. It made a big difference as my calf now feels back to normal. It really takes a village sometimes. As this point, I'm not risking anything, if anything hurts, I will take the time to fix it, have a day off or do some cross training. I have to continue to be mentally tough as there are always obstacles down the road. Thankfully, an excellent group of sports medical experts who have been helping me.


Week 5
Mar 7  Mon AM 3-0-min Stationary bike PM 35-min Stationary bike(again), 5-mile run + hurdle drills + chiro
Mar 8  Tue AM 5 miles + weights PM Physical Therapy  w/ dry needle (I was asked by PT staff to skip PM run)
Mar 9  Wed AM 5 miles + hurdle drills  PM 6 miles (very easy, HR = 126, 7:11 pace) + Normatec recovery [Sleep RHR = 33]
Mar 10 Thu AM 10 miles   PM 5 miles
Mar 11 Fri AM 5 miles + Physical Therapy PM 13 miles + hurdle drills
Mar 12 Sat  AM 13 miles w/ 10 mile tempo (51:57 - 5:18, 5:18, 5:16, 5:16, 5:13, 5:12, 5:11, 5:08, 5:04, 5:00, AHR = 161, Max HR 166)  PM 5 miles + Normatec recovery
Mar 13 Sun  24 miles (2:42:30) very easy, AHR = 141

TOTAL 96 miles, 65-min stationary bike. Notes: Happy with the 10-mile tempo, especially considering how the HR was and how I felt. I think I could've extended the tempo distance if I wanted to. I will be racing the New Bedford Half Marathon a week from today, which should give me a good indication of my overall fitness. In 2014 when I won there in 65:52, I had done a similar 10-mile tempo a week before the race in the 52:20's. I would be happy to run anywhere in the 65-66 range, which would put me in a good position going into the last 4 weeks of workouts before London. Thanks for reading and for your continued support.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures from training this week:

Doing hurdle drills in my basement

Leg press at Pinnacle PT

Post 10-mile tempo

Recovering with Normatec while watching March Madness