Skip to main content

London Marathon Training: Week 4

This past week had its ups and downs. As with any marathon training program, there is a fine line between injury and fitness. The fitter you are, the more likely you are flirting with injury. For me, this has been something I've struggled with a lot in the past. My aerobic capacity and ability to train at a higher level becomes stronger than the load my legs are able to support. I had to skip a key workout this week to allow my body to recover. For London, my goal is to get to the starting line in shape and ready to give myself a chance to run the time I need to run. In order to do that, I can''t simply take days off here and there. It'd be easier If I was training for the mile, but strength and endurance are not things you can fake in the marathon. I'm continuing to do everything I can to be healthy, but I also have to make sure I get appropriate training to get me fit. It is critically important that whenever I have 'bad stretches' or 'mini setbacks' whether it's a workout or a nagging injury, that I'm able to bounce back fresh physically and mentally.

Week 4
Feb 29  Mon AM 5 miles + hurdles drills (RHR = 35) PM 60-min stationary bike + Physical Therapy
Mar 1  Tue AM 5 miles + weights PM 13 miles w/ 8x 3min hill + normatec recovery
Mar 2  Wed AM 13 miles (1:22)  PM Massage
Mar 3 Thu AM 5 miles + hurdle drills  PM 10 miles (skipped tempo workout, right calf too sore)
Mar 4 Fri AM Physical Therapy PM 30-min stationary bike per PT's order  
Mar 5 Sat  AM 5 miles  PM 10 miles + hurdle drills
Mar 6 Sun  24 miles fuel run 2:28:27 - 4 mile splits 25:45, 25:28, 25:02, 24:16, 23:50, AHR  = 148

TOTAL 90 miles running ,90 minutes stationary bike. Notes: I was bummed not to get in the 10-mile tempo Thursday, but felt extremely comfortable with the long run on Sunday. I tried a new energy gel provided by one of my new sponsors UnTapped  and had good results with taking a gel at mile 13 and another at mile 20. I didn't even need water as it was easy to digest. Overall I'm happy where my strength and fitness is right now, but I need to continue to do all little things to stay healthy. Thanks for your support.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture from training this week.  .


                                                  Stationary bike in my basement

Strength training at PT
Displaying 20160229_212519.jpg
Displaying 20160229_212519.jpg

Comments

  1. Hey Ruben, I am actually going to get some of that UnTapped. When I go running on trails in New England and see some of those sap buckets on trees it makes me want the stuff really bad. It's a healthy and natural craving right in front of our eyes.
    One more thing, please don't even think of going to the driving range before London. First of all, me and you don't like golf. We have issues with a healthy percent of the population that plays it. At least I do. Second, you not knowing even how to swing at a golf ball will screw up your muscles and alignment. How could you? You trying to kill me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruben...Rupp=Breakfast,Meb=Lunch,Ward=Dessert. No chance at all for them. But I know a different 3 that are going to eat well. Believe it or not if Salazar has Breakfast run hard early then you may want to save some of that UnTapped to sprinkle on some burnt toast. You will be fine, though. Overall it ain't gonna be pretty. You heard of the 3 Bears, Bears #205,206,207. Their coming to town. When you get their don't go out fast, mind your business, and let them eat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews