Skip to main content

All Eggs in One Basket

Hello People! Since the last time I blogged, not much racing has happened. After Mayor's cup, I was feeling in really good fitness. Having done only about 6 structured weeks of training before that, I was eager to see how much fitter I could have gotten. I wanted to get in even better shape, do harder workouts and push my body to the limits. So I found one race that gave me enough time to get ready for it mentally and physically: Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon. After signing up for this race, I was very pumped. Started doing workouts such as 18 mile fartleks on heartbreak hill, long hill reps on Christian Street and long-fast intervals such as 3x3miles, 4x2 miles..Man I was feeling very good! I was hitting paces for these workouts that I had never done before. For example, on the 18 mile fartleks, I was averaging close to 20 secs per mile faster than I did on my Rotterdam Marathon prep. The intervals kept getting faster, my form was looking good and I was very excited! I even decided to even skip a few races between Oct-Dec to keep my sole focus and energy on Vegas. I had all eggs in one basket!

Unfortunately, disaster struck on the evening on Nov 29 during my last workout before Vegas. I cooled down feeling a very sharp pain on my plantar fascia. The next morning, I was forced to take a day off to see if the pain would go away. The next day was off too, and the next day I flew to Vegas. Emotionally, I was feeling a bit down because of the entire situation. The night before the race, I did an easy slow "jog" to see how the foot felt. The pain was still there but I was more in denial because of the race. I still wanted to start the race, maybe thinking the adrenaline would power me through and potentially get the Cape Verdean record of 1:04:19. Inside my head, I knew only a miracle would have to happen though. At 10k in 30:21, I was right on pace for 1:04:00. I really thought maybe a miracle would indeed happen. Soon after, the pounding on my right foot was too much to take. I tried changing my stride to land on a different part of my foot to see if it would help, but my plan backfired as now my hamstring had a slight tear that I could feel. At 10 miles I was in pain and agony. I knew I was not going to even be close to a PR or the record. I still fought hard with pain on my hamstring and foot. I finished in 1:07:14. Very disappointed to say the least, but even more disappointed that I had caused more damage to my injury. After the race I struggled to walk. No cool down. Took a taxi to the hotel straight from the finish line.

After being back to Massachusetts, I didn't start running until New Year's Day. However, I had done some decent cross training and core to make the return to running process much easier on my body. The break gave me a good opportunity to reflect on my goals and also freshened my legs and my outlook for the new year. I'm now training at about 85% load capacity.I have made a lot of progress since but I still have a long way to go. Every week that goes by I am feeling stronger and fitter, but I have to be even more careful than I was last time. This year, in particular, is a very important one because of the Olympic Games in August. Although it is a bit far out of my reach, my goal is to run the Olympic 'B' standard in the 5k - if not, then get as close to it as possible. There's a good chance that I can still be picked for the 5k on the Cape Verdean team as 'the wildcard' even if I don't hit the standard. However, I don't want to go to London to get lapped. I want to race like a competitor, not a participant anymore. I have relocated to a great place for training and I feel like I'm back to my usual ritual. I'm banking on these winter miles to bring some summer smiles. Photo below: Trails near my new apt. Thanks for reading. Ruben.





Comments

  1. Wow, Ruben. You have been through a lot. Good luck on making the "B" Standard. We are cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you CoachFlynn. Will keep on chasing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the 5K B Standard and what meets are you planning to chase it at? Can't you run the marathon at the Olympics? It seems like you'd be more competitive in that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 5k standard is 13:28. I plan to go to California to chase that time. I would prefer to race on the track instead of the marathon for 3 reasons:
    1.quicker recovery, less chances of injury
    2.work/training load balance
    3.last time I ran a 5k track for PR was in college. I have improved in all other events from 3k-10k-10mile since then, which leads me to believe I will run faster 5ks soon..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews