Skip to main content

Week Ending May 1, plus Yoga


Lots of stuff going on this week. I am now back in full swing of training, but first and foremost, please check out the newly created group "Forest Hills Runners". My friend Owen started the group, along with help of many others, they have started organizing weekly fun runs to get local residents (particularly Roxbury, JP, Dorchester) more into running. As some of you may know, distance running is not as popular in the inner city as much the some of the greater Boston areas. These runs are for everyone from beginners to Olympic hopefuls. Stop by if you can and we will have coffee after the run and talk about how we can make changes in the running community of (inner) Boston.
In addition, this week I attended my first EVER yoga session with "Omgal", which now makes me officially a "yogi" - I think that's the term. Anyway, it's no secret that yoga can help remove physical and mental stress for athletes, but it is also important to note that it helps improve flexibility, balance and coordination - which most distance runners lack. My instructor and friend, Rebecca Pacheco , did a great job and I was able to "blend" in with the rest of the group. Afterwards, I was afraid I was going to be really tight/sore for my long run, but I actually felt even better post yoga. I did yoga at10am and then ran at 4:30pm. If you would like to give yoga a try, check out these tips she sent me: "10 Tips for First Timers". I am hoping to incorporate at least 1 yoga session per week into my training, so that I can become more flexible. By increasing my flexibility, I am hoping to be able to better perform my core exercises. This is an area that I am very weak and know that even a little work there can yield huge gains in my running performances.

Now on to this week's training... I had my first full week of training since the marathon. Everyday that is going by, I feel my body getting stronger and stronger. I am really enjoying running even more now than I've ever had. I'm also very enthusiastic about the the upcoming months of training, especially because the weather is now decent. Better weather means more training flexibility, right? Anyone who's endured running 130+ miles in snow blizzards can really appreciate the weather we have now in Boston (55-75F, mostly sunny). I am looking forward to putting on a good late spring/early summer base, then doing some BIG road races in late summer. I would really like to improve in the road "middle" distances from 8k to half marathon. Last summer I was not able to race because I was coming off of NCAA's, but this summer it's on!

Training: Week Ending May 1

Monday April 25
AM 5 miles, 35min
PM 10 miles, 65min + pool

Tuesday April 26
AM 5 miles, 35min
PM 10 miles, 65min
3 warm up
workout on track: 3x mile w/400 rest: 4:56, 4:55, 4:51
3.5 cool down

Wednesday April 27
AM 6 miles, 40min
PM 11 miles, 1:14min, drills, strides + pool

Thursday April 28
AM 5 miles, 35min
PM 10 miles, 1:08:42
5x Christian hill (from the "go slow children" sign to basketball hoop)
splits: 2:59, 3:00, 3:00, 2:59, 3:00

Friday April 29
AM 6 miles, 41min
PM 10 miles, 67min + strides

Saturday April 30
AM 6 miles, 43min w/ Forest Hills Runners
PM 11 miles, 60:57 "Charlie Spedding" fartlek on Boston marathon course
splits:
5:55, 5:37, 5:28, 5:27, 5:31, 5:37, 5:26, 5:24, 5:33, 5:46, 5:08
(60:57, 11 miles)

Sunday May 1
AM 1 hour yoga w/ Omgal
PM 18 miles at 80% on Boston marathon course, 1:50:22

113 miles

Comments

Total Pageviews