Sunday, December 5, 2010

Keeping everything in perspective...

Every runner at some point goes through a bad stretch of performances. Certainly I am no different. In the last few weeks, my performances have been up and down. As Nate would say, I've had some "piss poor" performances. My last outing on December 4 was quite embarrassing one to say the least. What excuses do I have? NOTHING.

In the late Summer of this year, my decision to increase volume of training was one that I certainly did not plan for short term success. I have since increased my long runs about 4-6 miles and my weekly mileage over 40+ what I did on usual around this time last year. I am a strong believer that it takes time and patience for results to appear when sudden changes in training are made. Random things will happen that we cannot control because of many uncertainties. It's like watching the stock market go up and down unexpectedly not having a clear picture of why it's happening.

One thing for sure though, on April 17, 2011, I hope that the stock market will be up because that's the day I will attempt to get the Olympic B standard in the marathon. So there you go! My near future long term goal is specifically for that day. On that day, it will not matter what I do for the rest of 2010, or what I run in any track races, but it will be about what i can do in the marathon - the event I plan on focusing on. I am hoping to be in good shape and fight an all out race to allow my country's flag to fly at the Olympic opening ceremony in London.

For now, I am keeping everything in perspective. I will not panic because I known I've been in these type of stretches before.I will remain calm and still run my 22 mile long runs whether I have good performances or bad ones. I have progressed to 20 consecutive 110 mile weeks and averaged 125 miles for the past 5 months. I am now getting adjusted to workouts and soon I strongly believe that I will be right on pace when I need to be.

Lastly, I will always remember this quote on my cold long runs this winter: "Tough times don't last but tough people do. "