Skip to main content

ENDURANCE!

As I sit here waiting for time for my second run, I began to think about what I have done this year, where am I at now and where I want to get by the end of 2011 and beyond. I'm a big believer that constant reflections are good ways to keep track of short term goals which eventually help lead to accomplishment of long term goals. To start, lets go back to 2009 which was was marked by some big ups and downs. Some exciting things happened in 2009 such as qualifying for my first US championship, winning my first new england individual college, breaking my first ever individual school record and competing for Cape Verde (in Portugal) for the first time. But 2009 was also marked by some big disappointments such as my hip injury which put me out for 2 months, missing the NCAA championships and missing the entire outdoor track season. Also non training related things happened such as me struggling to finish undergrad with overloaded classes and also the passing of my mother with cancer.

The next year, in 2010, things went much smoother. I was able to fully return to the track healthy enough to qualify again for my second US championship, break another school record, win another new england individual title, represent the US overseas (Ireland), earned my first individual all american honors, won several road races while breaking more records and placing top 10 at the US 5k championships and earning a top 3 team finish at the club championships. On the other hand, I found out late in 2010 that I've had some iron problems and currently taking some medications to correct things.

Aside from actual competition, a lot other positive things have happened. I have finished graduate school (MBA), joined one of the best club teams in the country (BAA) and I have also agreed to two partnerships as I get ready to embark on my training to make the Cape Verde Olympic team: Mix 1, an natural protein drink, and Racemenu, a race management web site and facebook application.Training-wise, with the goal of competing in the 2012 London Olympics marathon, I have taken a huge step towards increasing my aerobic training capacity. I have logged in over 5300 miles in the year of 2010 while still able to do a handful of workouts, races, taking time off, peaking etc.

For 2011, I have set some minor and major goals. Some of these goals include what I have always done since high school: stay motivated, try to stay injury free, listen to my body and take every precaution I can to help increase the productivity in my training. When it comes to racing, I will be racing the Terrier 5k, New Bed ford Half Marathon and hopefully the Rotterdam Marathon on April 10 with the goal of achieving the Olympic B standard of 2:18 to allow me to represent Cape Verde at both, the World Championships in September of 2011 and the Olympic Games in August of 2012.

To say the least, 2011 will be marked heavily on my training towards the marathon and everything else will be on hold. My new motto for 2011 is E-N-D-U-R-A-N-C-E, with a thick Australian accent. That's what my friend Eric T. told me that his Kenyan x-teammate told him when he asked what the basic of training really is. When I though about this more, it really made sense. Marathon is about endurance, not only physical, but mentally. Enduring the harsh training, enduring the disappointments to be able to bounce back as much as enduring the last 10k of the marathon which I am yet to find out.

As we come to an end in 2010, I look forward to keeping everyone posted on where I go from here on. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank those who have helped and supported me in many ways. Thank you.

ENDURANCE!


Comments

  1. Good luck bro! Can't wait to see what you do this coming year...exciting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruben, congratualtions on all your fabulous and impressive accomplishments in 2010 and the years leading up to 2010. We are so excited to follow your journey into the new year! We wish you the best of luck with all your goals and running endeavors! Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5300 miles in a year WOW! I ran like 2600 and thought that was a lot. Good Luck in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you JJ,Brad, Bethany and Ryan. Good luck with your training and racing as well in 2011.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews