Skip to main content

Treadmill Running: Why not?


Finishing a 12-mile run in the basement at home.


In getting ready for the winter months, I have set up this fine piece of equipment in the basement at home. There will be no missed runs anymore. The treadmill can be mentally tough to handle, but so is the marathon. So I think this will build mental toughness. Last year during the time that I ran my PR of 13:56, more than 50% of that month's training was done on treadmills. Although some people may think treadmill running is not good for you, but here are my benefits specifically for winter running:


- no slipping, sliding or falling, no breaking bones like I did back in 2009

- more efficient running than running on packed snow
- eliminate chances of getting sick
- let yourself dictate pace, rather than letting the weather dictate pace/efforts

- full complete training days rather than half days because of weather

- run anytime during the day, even if it's dark

- easy water stations
- mental & psychological gains



Comments

  1. good stuff Ruben. Even though I'm a huge fan of running on snow :)... I find all these points valid except of course the getting sick part. To make sure you completely eliminate getting sick, you have to avoid other people completely! :)... As soon as I stopped going to the office and working from home, I almost never get sick. The only time I find I get sick now is around the holiday or a sometime where I am around a bunch of sniffling kids. Good luck this winter...can't wait to see you rip out a big marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find that you can work on your turnover a bit on the treadmill

    ReplyDelete
  3. JJ, I agree with you. I do enjoy running in packed snow sometimes and Ithin k it can be beneficial so some degree. I should've probably said "decrease" instead of "eliminate". I still think your body is more vulnerable to getting sick because of changing environments (hot-cold-ex. wearing cotton and sweating on yourself then waiting too long to change). You may not directly get sick from it, but your body is weaker therefore any bacteria contact will easily get you sick - or maybe it's just me because I have/had lung problems with Asthma or I don't wear appropriate dri-fit clothing.

    EA-I agree with turnover as well. Like I said, the efficiency is increased. Instead of wearing tons of layers and barely being able to move, you can now switch whatever pace and get in a harder effort aerobically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog post, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews