Skip to main content

the ups and downs(literally) of running

Just like life, running is full of up and downs. This indoor season, I made huge improvements over the mile-3k-5k. I was able to run prs of 4:07-8:09-14:05 while still training really hard. In addition, I helped bring many of my teammates to nationals by helping them in the DMR and on top of that I won my first ever New England title in the 3k. Great times, happy times, many congrats and this and that.

I pretty much thought I could do anything I put my mind into when it came to running. I didn't even think I had given all my effort in those races. Two weeks before the national meet, I fell on my long run and hurt myself badly. I wasn't able to finish the 5k at nationals and came back to Lowell empty handed. Its hard to believe, I had top 5 times in the mile, 5k and DMR, yet I come back to Lowell still limping. and empty handed.

It's been 3 weeks since the fall and I still have pain in my hip. I took many days off because some days it hurt too much to even walk. Now finally this week, I have started running. The pain is still there and I am not quite sure I am ready for any workouts yet.

The days are going by and my much anticipated 5k race at the Mt.SAC relays could be in serious trouble. Tomorrow I am scheduled to do a workout with the rest of the team and I don't know how good or bad my hip will feel.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the heads up Ruben. I've added you to the logs-n-blogs section on my page. Hope your hip heals quickly. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note. I'm sorry to hear that the hip is still bothering you. Keep your head up because you're still really fit and you just need to get mended. A small break right now might be good for you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ruben, I was sorry to hear about you getting banged up. I've enjoyed following your progress over the years and seeing a lot of success this year in particular. Much like Blake said above, even though things seem bad now, I'm sure you'll be back to running some stellar times before too long and might even benefit from a break in your training. Coming from a guy who has also had some rough stretches, you just have to hang in there and have faith in the work you've put in.

    I look forward to seeing more of your continued success and reading about it on here as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews