Skip to main content

fitter, happier, and more productive

That's the title of Keith Kelly's blog. For those who don't know Keith, he's a very talented Irish and a Providence College graduate. He won the 2000 NCAA XC title in one of the fastest times on the course in Iowa. I first remember him running at Franklin Park in one of my first visits to the park to check out this new sport called "XC". I lived right behind the park and had no idea about the sport.

Keith has been up and down with injuries for about 6 years since graduation. This year Keith was back on fire, winning the Irish XC title and qualifying for the World Champs. Unfortunately , he got a knee injury that has kept him out since. What I admire most about this guy is not his talent as a runner, but his ability to stay focused for 6 years injuries after injuries to come back strong and keep his faith in training.

His tite of "fitter, happier and more productive" got me thinking. I did some research of my own to find out whether coming back from injuries if I was really fitter, happier and more productive. This is what I found:

2005: Pulled hamstring, PR from 2:46 to 2:33 in 1k, 6 weeks later
2006: Bronchitis, PR from 4:07 to 3:59 in 1500, 4 weeks later
2007: Pulled hamstring, PR from 15:19 to 14:39 in 5K, 8 weeks later
2008: Calf strain, PR from 3:55 to 3:51 in 1500, 6 weeks later

I am going to keep hope and faith that I can com back stronger. I am hoping to extend my outdoor season until late July and I think for now, this injury will help me later. I will feel fitter, happier and more productive in the late meets in the summer.

Comments

Total Pageviews